Immunohematology Reference Laboratory
The Immunohematology Reference Laboratory at Rhode Island Blood Center is AABB accredited.
- Antibody Detection and Identification – Tube and MTS Gel Testing
- Investigation of incompatibility of units
- Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn
- Delayed Hemolytic Tranfusion Reactions
- Investigation of Warm Autoantibodies
- Investigation of Cold Autoantibodies
- Polyagglutination investigations
- Reagent Reactivity investigations
- Resolution of ABO discrepancies
- Resolution of discrepant Red Blood Cell typing results
- Red Blood Cell Phenotyping – Including treatment of Red Blood Cells with a positive DAT and reticulocyte separation
- Suspect drug problem testing and evaluation
- Red Blood Cell genotyping by BioArray
The Reference Laboratory is open 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. A Reference Laboratory Technologist is also available during off hours and weekends for consultation and emergency patient referrals.
Provision of Antigen Negative Blood
The Reference Laboratory maintains an extensive inventory of antigen-negative blood, both liquid and frozen. These units can be shipped throughout the United States and are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A Reference Laboratory technologist is on-call during off-hours to answer any questions with these requests.
Rhode Island Blood Center Antibody Registry
The Reference Laboratory maintains a database via the internet available to all its clients. The HIPAA/HITECH compliant database contains all Reference cases with antibody identifications and other relevant information regarding the patient. The database can be viewed 24 hours a day, seven days a week by approved users.
For questions regarding services, testing or pricing provided by the Reference Laboratory, please call the Laboratory Supervisor at 401-453-8324 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.