As a coordinator, you are the key to determining whether a blood drive is successful. If you follow some simple steps, you can help assure the success of your drive.
Here are some tips that should help your blood drive succeed:
- Schedule your blood drive dates with your account manager at least three months in advance.
- Build a recruitment team. A blood drive committee shares the work and reaches more potential blood donors.
- Confirm your dates and discuss details of the drive with your account manager six to eight weeks before the blood drive.
- Remain committed to your scheduled date. Patients in hospitals count on the blood that is collected at your drive.
- Schedule appointments to decrease donors' waiting time and to help you progress toward reaching your goal. Distribute reminder cards to donors and have someone from your committee call each donor before the drive.
- Make sure materials have all the important information - date, time and place.
- You and your committee should personally ask people to donate. The number one reason that people do not donate is they are not asked.
- Explain that donating one pint of blood can help save three lives.
- If a potential donor is adamant about not donating, accept that. If someone is wavering, provide them with additional information that you may have with your materials. You can also access the information on our Web site (www.ribc.org), or you can contact your account manager.
- Someone from your committee should be available the day of the drive to serve as the liaison between the Blood Center and your organization during the drive.
All times are approximate.
Six to eight weeks - Host strategic planning meeting with your committee and the Blood Center's Account Manager. Place announcements in newsletters, bulletins, memos, e-mails and on the company or organizations intranet.
Three weeks - Begin one on one recruitment and scheduling appointments.
Two weeks - Place posters, flyers and signs to advertise the blood drive. Continue scheduling appointments.
One week - Confirm all logistics - site, parking, etc. Continue to schedule appointments and give an update to your Account Manager.
Few days before - Confirm donor appointments, send out reminder cards, and call donors, if possible.
One day - Post last minute reminders. Put up "Today" signs. Encourage walk-ins.
Following the drive - Celebrate your success. Thank blood donors and committee members. Confirm your results with your Account Manager and book your next drive!